Or should that be “Jobs and Part-time Musos”? Which gets in the way of what? What gets in the way of which?
Assuming musicianship has primacy, here are a few of my thoughts:
- Day jobs would be OK if they wouldn’t take all day.
- My degree of satisfaction with my day job is inversely proportional to the number of useful musical websites blocked by my day-job IT department.
- No matter how much I play guitar in the evening, the office ventilation system is successful in stiffening my fingers all over again by 10.00 am next day.
- Increased use of a workstation computer keyboard has nil effect on maintaining the looseness of a guitar player’s fingers.
- A work / life balance would be possible if a day-job wasn’t necessary.
- Day-job colleagues may become friends, but they never become fans.
Enough already. A future day-job client may read this back to me one day.